Monday, December 14, 2009

Blue Mountains


We spent the day hiking and driving through the Blue Mountains yesterday. It's a spectacular part of the country - akin to the Grand Canyon in some ways (but different in others) but with more trees. We caught the railway down to the bottom - this is a picture of us (me and D, Nerrilee and Alex) as we are leaving...it goes straight down at about an 80 degree angle it seems. You literally have to hang on with your bum cheeks to stop yourself from sliding off the seat. It's over faster than a sneeze and strangely enough, they played the Indiana Jones theme song as we went down.

I didn't like that.

I wish they had've played an Aussie anthemic song. It seemed wrong.

Anyway, we did our first house concert here on Saturday night and it was a lot of fun, with a lot of laughs. Some of the crew who use to come see The Velvet Janes when we played in Sydney turned up and it was nice to see their faces and catch up after the show. John, a regular music lover all the way around and fine supporter of what I do, brought me this huge bag of Aussie treats. Use to be that he would bring red frogs (google it) to gigs because sure enough the red food coloring would go to my head and make me a little giddy. People liked to watch that. Hmm.. In the bag this time were tim tams, mint slices, minties, arnotts chips and twisties and fantales. God, it totally brought it all back for me...growing up as a kid here and spending 20 cents on a bag of mixed lollies. Sure as hell couldn't get anything for 20 cents these days. Which is the other thing I noticed, everything is SOOOOO expensive here. I paid $4.50 for a meat pie yesterday, I almost fell over backwards.

But it was worth it.

Did I tell you, I can't wait to get to Adelaide. I get to see my mum, and I will cry. But that makes me very happy too. Go figure.

xxM

No comments: