Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To drum...or not to drum

I am sitting in the middle of a rehearsal for the indy drumming group Ashre. They have so kindly let us, and particularly me and my non drumming ability, into their rehearsal night to learn and laugh and to continue being a part of the amazing community of them.

We have not so secretly dubbed ourselves the 'cult of divine bliss'.

I have never been very good at drumming. Usually, when the drumming kicks in at festivals etc, I excuse myself. Mostly out of fear of embarrassing myself. But there's no embarrassing here. It's an accepting group of fine musicians who patiently teach me, or let me just be. It's nice to have that kind of musical community. There's nothing attached to this other than the joy of smacking a drum and making a loud amazing noise together.

It's very liberating.

And humbling....

And occasionally 'alternatively rhythmic'....or perhaps that's just me.

Xxm

2 comments:

indyem said...

LOVE having you sit next to me and bang your drum. XOXO

Jamie Price said...

I love the term "alternatively rhythmic"...shit, that's my life every day...thank goodness.

Love, love having you and D join in...I love how we learn from from one another...each of us taking our time to be teacher and student. And goodness, how blessed we are to be able to make music in community like that.

It's just phenomenal. You are, we are, life...everything!