Friday, August 14, 2009

Education is a team effort.....


Education is a team effort.....
Originally uploaded by martine.locke

So I have had this idea that I have been thinking about the last few months. I have been throwing it around a little with my friend Amanda who is a special ed teacher here at Crete Elementary school in IL. I hear every year about how much money she personally puts into her class and the kids that she teaches. How her budget for supplies and teaching materials is really small and in order to teach and to encourage her kids to learn, she has to use her own money.

Now, we all know that school teachers in Australia AND the USA (and most likely other countries that I don't know about) aren't paid what they should be and that education is continually being cut in budgets. Budgets that seem to raise enough money to track down invisible weapons of mass destruction.....but don't get me started.

So, my idea is to pick one teacher (to begin with) in each State that I play in regularily, get a list of needed school supplies from them and then every show give folks the opportunity to bring a donation from the list. You know, kinda like the 'bring a can' food drives. This way though, we all get to help teachers in your own communities and see the outcome of it here. I will post photos and stories and hopefully even build its own page here on my site. My intention would be to grow it so that we can set it up in every country we play in.

What do you think? Thoughts, suggestions, concerns all welcomed. Would you, kind reader, support this idea?

Let me know!

Xxm

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I sure would, sounds like a great idea.

Cindy

KCmustang said...

As a kind reader, you have my support. It sounds like a great idea! It will be a great addition to your website.