Sunday, August 30, 2009

The view from here...


The view from here...
Originally uploaded by martine.locke

I am sitting in my hotel room in Ohio, slowly getting myself ready to hit the road for our show in Cincinnati this afternoon. My computer is on my lap with my new favorite website, zillow.com, on my screen. It let's me look at pretty pictures of houses in the areas we are interested in.

Its an interesting experience....looking for a home.....for an itinerant musician. Add into that mix the words 'legal alien' and it adds another interesting twist. People are always astounded to find out that I have a social security number, pay taxes and health care here in the US and yes, have to renew my visa every 3 years AND I have to pay thousands of dollars to make that happen.

You really have to want to be here to make all that happen, let me just say.

My visa is up for renewal again this December and I occasionally have mini panic attacks in the form of 'what if they don't renew it' as I am finally looking to put roots down somewhere. My inside voice then goes through this whole conversation along the lines of 'why wouldn't they....you've been working hard, they have renewed it the last 3 times and there really is no reason why not.'

That calms my inner scared child for but a minute.

I can tell that there is a little part of me that is scared about putting roots down......especially here (for reasons other than my visa). My visa thing just adds to that. Its an interesting process in practising standing in my strength, power, grace, truth and light and not letting anyone stand in the way of what the universe has in store for me....which also includes WHERE I live. There are so many good reasons for us being here though, and I know that....and I hold onto that, whilst soothing the other parts of me on this cloudy Sunday morning in Ohio.

Xxm

1 comment:

KCmustang said...

I am happy you got your first visa which led to your second and third!! Well i am also you were born, and born in OZ which led to the visa which led to this great blog of one little Aussie who shares so openly of fun and fears and everything in between!! I am also happy you are not in and around Glendale, CA right now and that you are safely in your tour van traveling more than 16,000 miles. Safe travels mate!