Wednesday, June 16, 2010

gardens gone wild....



















I think "gardens gone wild..." would be an extremely sexy video series. I wonder why no one has ever thought about it.

My garden grew about 5 inches higher in the 4 days that I was away. I am quite astounded and felt a little scared when I first saw it. I figured the organic soil I paid lots of money for wasn't working and surely there was some secret growth hormone in there (yes I know, it is working and things are thriving); or the over abundance of coffee grounds was working. I even had a moment of feeling overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of it all and in a moment of guilt declared to the universe that I would use the excess to feed all the poor.

I realized yesterday as I stood there and looked at it all that I have very strange emotions around a garden.  After a number of years of not even having to be responsible for an indoor house plant I figured I had probably 'done something wrong'. Like my garden growing to extreme levels was some how my fault and terribly irresponsible.

I know, sounds bizarre, right?

But it is what it is and it was what it was and I just watched the emotions and the feelings gently and then laughed at myself.

And then got to work weeding and staking and giving things room to breathe.

That's a big thing in my world..

making
sure
everything
has
room
to
breathe.

I have learned a lot about that idea in the studio. Recording songs and laying down instrument parts and vocal parts and always being mindful that everything has room to breathe, to stand on it's own, to be allowed to shine and exist on and IN it's own right. And I know I have translated that idea into my daily world.

Whether it be me or my sweetheart or my friends...or my songs, or my guitar playing, or my art.....or my home or my body and yes, my garden too. I believe EVERYTHING in this world, alive or not, needs to actually have room to breathe...to have air around it and in it. I know that air is what sustains us and my garden, but I believe it actually sustains everything. 

Giving a beautiful piece of art enough space and air to shine makes that piece of art look completely different than it did a minute ago on a wall filled with a hundred other pieces of art crammed together. Music takes on new life when given a minute to exist, our bodies and our minds change when we take a moment to breathe air deeply into our lungs and release, truth comes out when air is blown through a lie, fake people fall when they are breathed upon and gardens produce and dance like super human 5 years olds when given air.

I might not have done a great job with what I initially planted in my garden, I may have planted too much all at once because I was excited. But really, whose to say? The proof will surely come in the pudding as my mumma says....or in the case, it will come in what gets produced and I will learn for next year...and the year after...and the year after that.

But for now, me and my garden are giddy 5 year olds.....

xxM

No comments: