Friday, June 25, 2010

Beauty...and tile














I learned how to tile yesterday. It was very exciting and very empowering. This home ownership thing is cool because I do whatever the hell I/we want to our house and no one can say anything...but us.

I feel very fortunate.

And very tired...lol.

I think I laid awake all last night, after tiling our kitchen back splash, day dreaming about how pretty it was going to look...and then forgot to sleep. Doah.

I do that sometimes.

Our mate Dawn came over to guide us in our tile learning and was an extremely wonderful teacher. She even smiled warmly at me when I dropped the huge heavy ass tile cutter machine thing. Ahh, such a good mate. She made it fun and less scarey...and also very arty at the same time. She has been doing tile since she was seven years old (and boy, is she tired....haha...insert sound of slapping own knee here) and it really shows. Her ease and comfort with the process balanced our frantic 'ohmygodwhatifitdriescrooked'-ness.

So this is our beautiful work....the three of us created this using granite and glass tiles (that we found randomly one day and had to wait two months to get in...) and it was a lot of fun to create something with my hands, other than music. It's very zen, and balancing, and unique and....ours. It's a reflection of who we are individually and together and that's the best kind of reflection to have in a relationship, I think.

Ahh, sweet love.....and tile.

ohh...and spaghetti squashes with faces drawn on them

....insert cricket sound here....

or a photo














How the hell am I ever going to eat them if I keep putting faces on them??

I ask you...


xxM

2 comments:

KCmustang said...

great work. love the faces. i bet the universe loves being a part of your life ...you give back with love and laughter Xx

Julie said...

Oh wow, that is SO beautiful! I've never seen anything like it and I bet it's even more stunning in person. I'd be so proud of this if I'd done it...and I'd keep going into the kitchen at all hours to just LOOK at it and grin from ear to ear! What a great job y'all did on this...wow!