Sunday, January 6, 2008

Dear Mr Disney

Okay...so I am watching a Disney movie.

Its still cold outside and I am getting over my cough (not that I am feeling the need to justify watching a disney movie). The first round of ads came on and I noticed that 4 of the 5 ads were for weight loss pills or programs. I was initially annoyed by the extreme advertising about a sensitive issue for me and just wanting to feel all cosy and warm as I watched my movie rather than feeling bad about myself. The second round of ads I noticed AGAIN that they were all about weight loss, and one about bi-polar drugs, when it suddenly occurred to me that THIS WAS THE DISNEY CHANNEL PEOPLE!!! Kids are watching this shit!!!! I was mortified initially and that quickly turned to anger at this network for putting kids in the way of watching this. For perpetuating the disease of 'not good enough' that women (and men) of the current and past generations have suffered thru and been destroyed by. For encouraging the belief that anything past a size 0 is a disease that needs a pill to fix.

This is wrong people, wrong!

Mr Disney.....you make a butt load of money....do you really need to take on ad accounts that hurt and destroy the very spirits of the people who watch your network.....most of whom are children? As I just heard on Nancy Drew, its 'knock down stone cold wrong'.

Xxm

1 comment:

Connie said...

Martine i hope u are going to send this to "Mr Disney" as a professional working with children i see too many 8 and 9 year old children concerned about how wrong their bodies look, starving themselves, snning themselves or denying themselves the pleasure of being a child to "fix their all wrong bodies" and then there are teenagers who believe there is a pill too remedy anything their body might feel. So as you quoted, its 'knock down stone cold wrong'.
So intense for someone "me"who has woken up with a head cold and who to is in for a day of watching crap tv. I wonder what they will try to tell me i need today, an ab doer, anti fat pills, jenny craig, a knife so sharp it can cut through tyres.

thanks for sharing Mardi