Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heroes.....

A good mate of mine works on the set of a show called Heroes and I am waiting for a call from him to take D and I onto the set for the afternoon...which I am totally excited about. I don't watch a lot of tv these days, but that is one show I would make an exception for (although, truth be told, I missed the premier of it last night and instead watched it online this morning).

Anyway, my morning started with watching last nights premier and one part of the show actually gave me the chills....it was when one of the main characters has an epiphany because of a near death experience, he says;

"we're all connected. Our hopes, our dreams, our childrens future...reflecting back in each others eyes. We fight our own personal battles but we know we're not alone because only together, can we make our short time on this planet mean something. Only together can we be the stewards of our own destiny."

It's idea I think of all the time...every time I go for a bike ride (or walk) I try to make eye contact with everyone I see on the path, because I want to be connected to these people. I LOVE bringing people together to do things together. I know how much the success of what I do is connected to the people who connect with what I do, and turn up to my shows and buy my cds and continue to support what I do. And I am constantly day dreaming about how cool it would be to connect people I know with other people I know who I think would get on SO well together and probably end up as best friends.

I also think about it when I think of the people I have chosen to be disconnected from...I can count those people on one hand but I make a conscious choice because of the way they chose to be in the world and how that effects and has or will, hurt me and others (continually). I fight with what I know is healthy and honorable to myself and the uncomfortable feeling of disconnect. Knowing that every time I choose the former, I am be true and safe and kind and loving to myself and to those I love.

I believe we are all part of the web of life that connects all living beings, its only when we understand that fully that we will become more cognizant of how each one of our relationships and interactions affects another person.

Anyway, in the idea of 6 degrees of separation, we are all connected...and we are all looking for connection. We crave it, we ache for it, we don't always understand that is the missing thing in us sometimes...but connection, is life.

Of course, these are just the thoughts of a little Aussie sometimes folk singer...

who can't wait for next weeks episode of Heroes.....(and who will no doubt put photos of said visit to set, up here!!)

xxM

2 comments:

megster said...

yep yep yep...golden thoughts this morning..hope you do get on the set

Anonymous said...

Matthias:

Hi! I just searched for the phrase on the web and came to your Blog. That's the great thing about the web, because in this sense we ARE already connected.

I loved this comment and instantly added it to my fave quotes, yet still there's so many people who don't get it. But you can see this in everyday life: someone goes to the bakery buing bread and he smiles at the salesman making her feel a little better for the day. When you come in she smiles back at you, and you will feel better.

Still it is the same with frustrated people, sadly... people, times at work who don't care about how they treat others. How they stomp on lives by saying comments that just hurt. Without thinking about it. They will make you feel angry, frustrated yourself and somehow you carry on with this. You simply don't always have the choice to disconnect from these people.

But still if there's at least some people who know this, maybe, if everybody keeps working on it, it may change something one fine day.

Greetins!