Friday, January 23, 2009

Crash.....


This is a photo by Dionne Ward an amazingly wonderful photographer who is going to be releasing photos very soon...

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom." -Anais Nin

I watched the movie 'Crash' again this morning. What a bloody great movie. What a bloody intense movie. I looked at my sweetheart part way through it and said if that was my experience of living in LA, that I would move right away. I have seen it before but it still brought me to tears a number of times.

I know it was a movie but I also know that parts of it are some peoples realities in this world....and honestly, I am so thankful that it isn't mine. Yes I have brushed up against racism and sexism and cultural-isms but on the whole, I don't live my life angry or in fear or certain that it is going to always just 'be'. And that I have no power to change it.

It made me remember how fragile we are as people, as scarred, scared, wounded souls. It made me realize again how our interactions with each other, no matter how small or big, effect us. How we have a conscious choice each and every moment to have a positive effect on someone....or a negative one. It's our decision. I thought about that a little yesterday as the Armenian lady in my laundromat, who is a little pushy and crabby most of the time, walked past me and caught my eye...and I consciously decided at that moment to just smile at her...a smile in my eyes as well as in my lips. And I saw her eyes soften for a moment.

We are but fragile souls looking for safe connection....a safe place to be ourselves...to be loved and heard and acknowledged. We can provide that for others every moment of every day of our lives. If we so choose.

We are quite powerful.

xxM

2 comments:

Dionne Ward said...

Beautiful post, baby. You left out the part where the laundromat lady saw me coming and purposely blocked my path to the dryer. Good times! Your words are so true though. Thanks for the reminder.

Dionne Ward said...

Oh, and thanks for the plug on my photography! Lol!!