Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Strangest Things...


People leave the strangest things out on the street...hoping that other people will claim them. I am certain (from past experience) that part of the reason is because they are hoping they don't have to take care of it any further than putting it out on the street, and then because they are hoping to recycle the item rather than throw it away.

I have had a lot of practice putting items on the street in San Francisco and literally within minutes (sometimes just as I am turning my back away from it), someone had claimed it. So, we tried an experiment the other week here in suburban Glendale.....we had this huge clunky tv that weighed a tonne and no idea really what to do with it but knew we wanted to get rid of it right away (to make room for our shiny new tv..and because it SO wouldn't fit in our weeny apartment). We carried it out onto the sidewalk and put a note on it that said - 'working and free'. Went out for less than 20 minutes..came home..the thing was gone. I was rather happy about it all...both from a recycling and a lazy ass point of view.

When we were out on a walk today I noticed this beautiful piece of art sitting out there...and truely, if I could make it permanent and slap a sign on it, I would call it art. It's one of those Thai bird cages (that are actually mean't to be really bad for birds coz they eat the wood and it makes them sick...but I digress). I had some great thought process as I was looking at it...on one side the door is slammed shut and on the other the door is knocked down. I had this mini fantasy of birds staging a raid to save their mate from impending sickness...and then of course I looked for the similarities in this image to my world.

Mostly, because I was already thinking about it, I realised the symbolism for me lay in the idea that we can choose to live in a cage with the doors locked tight, or we can choose to knock them all down and live the lives we want and dream of.

It's ALL about choice.

Me and my girl are talking a lot about what we want our life and our lives to look like. How we can work together and inspire each other to live the creative full lives that we both want and desire..how we can do that together. There is risk involved in it for both of us and mostly its in the form of those nasty 'you are going to fail' voices that play in our heads....I get so tired of them. They are nasty, unwelcome little buggers.

I know at the end of the day, its our choice...doors open or doors locked?

What will it be?

xxM

2 comments:

Dionne Ward said...

Doors open...bird cage doors and metaphoric doors. Open, open, open, says me!

Connie said...

Here here

we are in the process of moving and today i put a whole heap of stuff on the verge, and yes because i am too lazy to take them somewhere else as they are too good to chuck out and i know somebody else will use them and may even need them. i was up to taking the third lot out when a red car came by and a 12 year old boy popped out and started looking through them. he was a bit embarrasses when he saw me and i said go ahead and wait cos theres more. i brought a big bag of Ben's clothes out that i was going to take to the salvo shop and he took em all, he was so pleased and so was i.

Thanks for Sharing Mardi cos you made me share something that made me smile today.

Cheers
Connie