Monday, November 17, 2008

The Rise Of the Phoenix



Here is the tattoo that Dionne got whilst in Indianapolis last week (sorry, I said I was going to post it that day and got caught up in the day...thanks for the reminder!!). It's a phoenix and is one that she was going to get before Tyler's passing as it carried significance for her...it carries even more now.

I am sure you know, but the wikipedia says this about the Phoenix : "near the end of it's life, the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again." It's often been used as a symbol of rebirth, of being reborn through adversity, through fire.

I re-met Dionne pretty much 12 months ago this month (we first met 3 years prior). Our meeting and friendship developed through a series of events that were as painful for me, as they were for her 18 months earlier. Events that we both wished never happened..that we both wished could be erased from us and our lives forever. Events that astounded and amazed both of us in a 'how the hell' kinda way. But they were also events that we found a bond, a sisterhood, a friendship, a healing in. I think falling in love with each other was as much a surprise to her, as it was to me. But what a sweet sweet, wonderful surprise.

I have witnessed her transition over the past 12 months, as I have witnessed my own, and can tell you that the person I know now is not the person I met 12 months ago. She has indeed risen up through the ashes of the fire she created, and that was created, to be re-born as the person she wanted to be...as the person she knew she could be. Passionate, thoughtful, motivated, funny as all, excited about her future, trustworthy, honest, conscious, creative, positive, present, up for any adventure, feels deeply, thinks intently, loves wonderfully....

Oh, I know...I know......I am biased......

I wake up every morning.....look at her....and smile.

This past month has taken that re-birth to a whole new depth in so many ways. And all I can say, is that I am incredibly proud of her. I feel incredibly fortunate to be the one to stand next to her, with her, through it all. I am blessed to love and be loved by her.

So...here is her phoenix. The mark she uses to signify that journey for herself, in the same breath as honoring her wonderful brother and who he was to her.

xxm

4 comments:

Connie said...

you have such a beutiful way with words martine locke.

Dionne Ward said...

Yes you do. Thank you, my love.

megster said...

that is an awesome tribute and such powerful symbolism..i have always been touched by the mystery of the phoenix..thanks for sharing and so great to hear of your love and strength together..

Tink said...

very cool! both the tattoo and the meaning.