Saturday, March 15, 2008

Every Day is A Winding Road....



Who knew that Sheryl Crowe could teach me something, or at least, remind me of something today.

I keep having these massive realizations that at every moment, things can change. That we really are masters of our own destiny and that attitude and outlook can really make or break a day. That our brains hold great power when it comes to determining our day.

Like today, I really do just want to sit on the couch (again) and watch movies and not really have to think or interact with the world at all. Secretly hoping that will make it all go away and that I will wake up tomorrow and my world will once again have the peace that it once had. There is something to be said for unconscious living (okay, I don't REALLY mean that but..).

So, I picked up my guitar and sang a song and my own vulnerability almost made me cry. I hear this new thing in my voice, in my songs. I remember listenening to Damien Rice sing and I can feel everything from the sound of his voice..his anger, his pain, his dream, his soul... and I wondered to the universe at one point what I would have to do to get that same emotion in my voice. How to be so connected with it that you couldn't hide it, that it fell out of you.

Now enter into my mind the phrase 'be careful what you wish for'.

So now, enter my wonderfully powerful brain, that will move me from my slumber, get me dressed, put some cute clothes on and take my ass into chicago to hang out with friends and go to the opening of some flamboyantly beautiful photography exhibition and then 'out on the town' afterwards (as they put it).

And...I will choose to breath.

xxM