Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Walked.....

Today, I got my sore, tired and sad body off the couch and just decided that my life is bigger than the sum of these experiences lately. (Of course, this was started because a very sweet and loving friend kicked me in the ass first..in that sweet and loving way that only close friends can do. You know...validate, commiserate, and then KICK.)

And I walked.

I walked until I stopped crying, I walked until I could smile, I walked until I could see some beauty in the things around me, I walked until I found my resolve..the thing that has brought me from one country to another, the thing that has kept me going on a path that isn't always easy, the thing that has made me committed to staying open to the world and the experiences it brings despite having a heart that is confused and in pain because of someone elses actions and words. I walked until I found my strength. I walked until I could be proud of who I am and what I have done and my actions and words in return. I walked until the smell was off my body. I walked until my feet hurt and the pain in my body was taken away by my feet hurting.

And tomorrow....I will do it again.

And the next day....again.

Until the day comes when that pain is gone and I just know and believe these things, and don't have to walk anymore. (unless of course I actually want t0).

Here's the strange thing....everyone I passed on my walk, and I mean EVERYONE...looked up at me, straight in the eye and said hello. We are not as alone as we think we are people...we aren't. If only we can pull our gaze above long enough to look around.

xxm

7 comments:

Connie said...

Martine (forrest gump), you are a fabulous person with a fabulous heart and sole. i am saddened to think that other people (person) have led you to believe other wise. But alas that is the word of one we are the voice of many.

so walk forrest walk

Anonymous said...

[Here's the strange thing....everyone I passed on my walk, and I mean EVERYONE...looked up at me, straight in the eye and said hello.]

Welcome to the Midwest. That's just the way people are up here.

Spring and Summer are incredible here and once it comes, you'll be ever so happy you ventured east. It's beautiful. You'll love it.

You are part of a perfect universe and because you're a part of a perfect universe, you can't be anything other than perfect.

Hang in there, Martine. Keep writing. Keep walking. Both are good therapy.

Anonymous said...

oh, and by the way...who wouldn't want to smile and say hello to a beautiful woman they passed on the street?

Anonymous said...

dude you need some of my PS3 action!! Why walk when you can shoot the shit out of something on PS3....hehehe loving my new console....all i have to say is Call of Duty 4 rocks my world.

ok and umm now for some encouragement....your grouse mate!!
lol

miss ya, hope you are ok and keep on truckin!

megster said...

i am glad for those friendly gazes that were a gift to you as you walked..to lift you above for a while..tho heavy hearted to read of the place you are in at this time...why do people hurt people like that I ask myself...because hurt people, hurt people..said some wise bod once upon a time...hugs to ya mate..and a reminder that you are gorgeous and brilliant!

Tour Wonk said...

Hey Missy... your phone is gonna ring in about 3 hours... answer it... it'll be me in all my caffeinated glory calling to tell ytou how much I love you!

KCmustang said...

It is good to love and so hard to stop. I am so sorry that this happened to you. It will get better....and if you get tired of walking.... i have a bike that you can use. Lets go to the zoo!!! Sending lotsa hugs xoxo KC