Monday, June 23, 2008

Festy thoughts

I am having a 'nothing' day today, deciding to let my body get over the weekend and doing things I love and that feel good for said body. I am in the middle of a bike ride right now and have been thinking about the weekend highlights for me. In no particular order I wanted to share...
  • Jamming till 4am with Nancy Scott. Laughing our asses off as we played tunes and talked about life. Excited I get to play with her again in Sept and Oct. (Indy and Texas)
  • Performing in front of a full house of people ready for the ride.
  • Two words.....Dueling interpreters.
  • Working with the stage crew at the festival, such good souls who work their asses off.
  • Standing behind Andrea Gibson at the Sunday jam and watching her entire body shake as she performed one of the most powerful spoken word pieces I have ever heard (still gives me chills thinking about it).
  • Hearing Chris Williamson play for the first time. Beautiful.
  • The auction....was the best workout I had all weekend.
  • Rocking the stage at the Sunday jam with JJ Johnson....trying to work out now how to play with her more!
  • Hanging out with musical mates Lyndell Montgomery, Jamie Andersen, Tret, Julie Loyd, Melindeh (whose bday is the same as mine), Ellis & Terri, Mel Watson, Jenn Todd and all the new musical and non musical mates I made.
  • The blue moon in the artists care room....and the sanctuary that Cathy, Joyce and Marsha provided for us there.
  • Hanging out with the indy crew Thursday night....grateful for the laughs and talks....and beers!!!
  • Being a part of a festival that started with a vision and has grown and developed into an amazing 4 day extravaganza. Hoping I always get to be involved one way or the other and feel like I am part of this amazing family.

Sure there's more...but those things come out now.

Next year, you really should come too.

Xxm

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great weekend Martine. I think i laughed harder at the auction than I have in a long time, thanks for the entertainment.

Cheryl

megster said...

hey, thanks for sharing all that, no wonder you need a lotta time to wind down and recuperate..it sounds like you had so much fun and moments that'll bring you joy again and again..brilliant..makes me smile to sense that joy in your words..

Connie said...

Hey mardi, i am switching back to several posts ago. Tried to respond in your writings section but it wouldnt let me, i think your poetry is wonderful by the way, raw, open and honest. Any way in response to your dear friend here

"Seems my 'friend' keeps getting given new bits of information about the situation from people...me personally, I am not sure if it's a good or a bad thing getting 'said' bits of information...makes the situation much uglier and nastier and liar-ier than my 'friend' even thought it was. But, I digress.
My 'friend' kicks herself often....feels icky, a little dumb and confused. 'Friend' is realizing more and more that she is a little naive, and that this isn't actually an isolated incident in the world of the person my 'friend' fell in love with. And whilst trying to own her part in the experience, grow and learn and all that self improvement kind of stuff, my 'friend' is having a bit of trouble working out what to do with all 'said' new pieces of information"

I think that it must be hard for said friend to hear this updated information, hard for her to move on and to grieve for a loss that keeps changing. Is the information comming from a reliable source or is it from the said perp herself.

Your friend needs to be assertive with her friends and let them know how she feels about getting the information, how she would like it if at all and when. if it was me i would want to know everything, i would want the information straight from the horses mouth. i then would not have anything to do with that person untill i was, if ever, ready. i would then tell my friends to refrain from giving me any more info untill i asked for it. Now if i couldnt get the info from the horses mouth i would then be tempted to seek the information from others, i think we do that because as human beings we like to have all the pieces of the puzzle in order to make sense of it which is fair enough really. In this instance your friend needs to think very carefully about wether or not she wants others to give her information, then to go about achieving what she wants by doing that assertive thingy.

As for your friend feeling icky, dumb, confused and naive that is understandable and will probably go on for some time. we do not expect the people that we love to wound us in such a horrid, deceitful way, (shame on you said person i hope you are learning from this)

your friend will learn from this because it sounds as though she is doing a lot of sole searching and taking responsibility for her part. tell your friend to be kind and gentle to herself because she has done nothing wrong, you know what they say, "love is blind". perhaps you could help your friend discover what it is about herself that makes her feel naive, sometimes we cant see whats in front of us and it takes others to point it out because we are far to close to it, it allows others to take advantage of our good heart.

i hope thathelps mardi.

looks like you had a great time at the feastavil.

MWA xx

Anonymous said...

I have incorporated chair leaping into my daily workout. Thanks for the inspiration.

KCmustang said...

my festy bits ... is that i need to thank you lots for asking for me to be a roadie. If not for you i would not have had such a great time. i can believe i missed the auction, $500 for Martine...way to work it! I am so bummed that the kayak didn't go home with me. I am just grateful to be a witness to your energy and light. You have a way of kickin' it up a notch just by walkin' in a room. Thanks!