Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Little Prince

Have you ever read the book 'The Little Prince'? It's probably my most favorite book in the world (and where the tattoo on my left forearm comes from 'on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur' - one sees well only with the heart - the rest of the phrase, the bit I couldn't fit on my arm says - 'what is essential is invisible to the eye'.) Reading that book has actually taught me a lot over the years about love and friendship and respecting people's hearts.

I tell you all this because I had this dream this morning that was 'one of those' dreams....you know, telling me something really powerful for myself.

In my dream I had just had an exhaustive, horrible battle with someone who had ambushed me and I was laying on the ground trying to recover. Infact, I was knocked out cold by it. In my dream I saw this exact image:


Which of course is the image of the boa constrictor swallowing the elephant from The Little Prince.

The boa constrictor, who I think was who I had the battle with initially, moved towards me to try to start to swallow me as well and suddenly I was surrounded by friends who put their hands under my arms and started to pull me out of the way of the snake.

I woke up at one point and looked down at the snake and tapped it's nose (do they have nose's?) with my foot and simply told it to leave me alone, that it couldn't have me, that me and my friends wouldn't let it....and besides, it was too full with all the other stuff it had eaten to fit me in, or to even catch me. And the boa constrictor looked at me really sadly, and for a minute, I felt really sorry for it and wanted to invite it to come with me so we could be friends....but I knew it's nature was to consume and that it would never be safe, and that I needed to go.

So I did.

And then I woke up and knew that it was an important lesson for me to learn right now.

And that I needed to read The Little Prince again......

xxm
who probably needs a nap now.....

7 comments:

Girl on a road said...

Just one more reason I like you so much...something else we have in common is a love for that book!!!!

One of my faves of all time, for sure!

What about Harold and the Purple Crayon????

(the boy who draws himself an adventure...and then draws his way back home)

talk soon!

KCmustang said...

Harold and the Purple Crayon! I love that book so much i give it as a gift to pass on the love!!

Anonymous said...

How amazing that you were able to feel compassion for the boa constictor. What a beautiful dream.

megster said...

no i have not read the little prince or harold, (where have i been????) but think i should find some time to..nice of you to just tap a snake on the nose who just knocked you out cold...

Anonymous said...

you are amazing, i would have kicked that boa in the head as hard as i possibly could..lol

lw

Anonymous said...

Excellent Martine! Just excellent.. . Blessings, ~Tory

Sarah W. said...

that book has been sitting on L's bedside table lately...