Thursday, July 10, 2008

The ever changing face...

Of the tree stump.

So, right as I moved to Chicago, this tree out the front of where I live got cut down. I remember waking up the first morning I was here and hearing the thud of the pieces as they dropped onto the ground. It was pretty dramatic at the time and shit, I wish I would have seen the symbolism of it then that I do now.

I have been watching it over the past 4 months. It looked really hurt to begin with, I remember looking at it and really feeling sad about it, like somehow all hope was lost with it. And then it was filled with water and it looked like it was trying to tell me something in the pouring rain as I nursed my broken self. Another day, it was just an ugly old tree stump....there was nothing but death all around it and then....oneday, it actually sprouted flowers.

It looks like they are getting ready to rip it out of the ground, and I was a bit sad to be losing it....like somehow its a record or a time marker for me. But I am grateful for the reminder that it brings to me, again, that this too, will pass and I look forward to seeing what they replace it with.
Because you know, when something dies and gets pulled out, it makes room for new things. And that's always good.....

Xxm

3 comments:

Girl on a road said...

hey - let's replace it with an oak sapling!

i can "rescue" one (acorn still attached, even!) from the grounds at work - because you just know those little babies are destined to be ripped out because they're growing in the wrong place.

i've dubbed it my "sapling relocation program" - kind of like witness protection for baby trees.

think of all the renewed energy we'd be stirring up....

xo
a

KCmustang said...

in the shape of a heart ~ nothing is ugly ~ luckily it sat in hopeful soil and what comes after will be really strong and more amazing...because amazing is really never duplicated...It really is all good!! Love the post Mate... really beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Agreed, with every loss comes a new opportunity for something else.

When I was in college there was a horrid tornado that hit the town and campus I was at. For years before there was a division between the students and the the townspeople. After the tornado college kids cleaned basements, helped rebuild homes, did childcare for the townspeople while they were rebuilding their lives and homes. The Lutherans opened their church for the Catholics who had lost their building in the storm. The Drama Department had a group that wrote the town's stories about the tornado into a play to be preformed for the entire community and in the end everyone seemed more connected to one another. So a thing that literally tore the land apart, brought the people together.