Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Rocket.....


In Australia, we call arugula lettuce, Rocket lettuce...and it tastes different than it does here in the US, it's got more bite than the stuff you buy here. I brought some rocket seeds back with me from Australia at the beginning of the year (oops, sorry immigration)..they were mean't to be a gift for someone elses garden but I decided I wanted to keep them. So bloody glad I kept them, for so many reasons. I planted them and now I have a SHIT load of rocket lettuce to eat everyday. When I am home I literally walk out there every morning and grab a handful and walk around the garden chomping on it. It's all fresh and spicy and yummy and makes me think of home.

I know life goes on and things grow when we don't always notice, but I am constantly amazed how much growing this garden does. I go on the road for 4 days and come home and it looks completely different than it did 4 days earlier. I feel like a little kid in a candy store and I am constantly in awe of the process.

Someone who use to be in my life once gave me a schpeel about seeds being like people and planting them in the right environment and watching them grow up to fulfill their destiny...I realised today it made me angry to think about it like that as it was a metaphor that was being given to me as a way to justify something horrible and behaviour that was shameful. I wanted to say something about how manure can burn seeds in the same way that too much shit can burn a person. But I digress....

I sat in my garden today and thought about it and I realized why what metaphor made me crabby (other than knowing the truth now), it's because, what you see isn't always what you get when it comes to people. I wish it weren't like that, once upon a time, not so long ago, I use to think it wasn't like that at all...I use to take people completely at face value. If you were telling me something, I would absolutely believe you because why would you want to tell me something other than your truth? What would be the purpose of that.

But....when you plant a seed, it can't be anything other than what it actually is. Unless of course there's something fucked up about the soil or it gets genetically engineered to be something different, or if you are watching a simpsons cartoon and it gets planted in nuclear waste and grows up with three eyes.

I planted a rocket seed two months ago...it's in beautiful soil and me and my house mates look at it and tend to it everyday....and it has come up looking EXACTLY like rocket lettuce, and tasting EXACTLY like rocket lettuce, and smelling EXACTLY like rocket lettuce. Low and behold...that's because, IT IS ROCKET LETTUCE. The name on the front of the seed packet was right....it WAS what it said it was.

And that my friends, is really really beautiful....

There's something about that process that is really helping my soul heal and restore it's faith in the way things work and trusting somethings to be what they actually say they are.

And now, after that brain fart, back to chomping on my rocket....

xxm

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, I get it, manure burning seeds = peoples shit and the shit they speak, or fling? shi fli mo? Still love that. Your latest poems are amazing btw.

Seeds..being what they are. Too true. There is something comforting about that. I see that.

Lynnie

Anonymous said...

OH...and I love rocket lettuce!!!

lw

Girl on a road said...

arugula is my favorite! i don't know if i could take the australian rocket-version, though...sometimes even the arugula that we grow out back is too zingy for my buds.

AND.....my, what big rockets you have!!!!!!

i can't believe how big that leaf was that you were chomping in your photo. that's gotta be the biggest arugula i've ever seen!

and you're right about the FAST changes, too....I swear, with the recent heat spike and rain, our garden has doubled in size since last week. amazing.

last - the seed analogy! a garden (be it flowers or gardens or trees) is an excellent way to restore ones faith in integrity of being......that, when someone says one thing and does another (i.e., lacks integrity, fails to walk their talk, whatever....), that's the EXCEPTION that, thank the universe, is far from the RULE. Rocket seeds grow up to be Rocket....Acorns grow up to be oak trees.

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

i think the universe is giving you great gifts after such a painfilled experience my friend. I know it takes a lot to get over someone who lacks integrity and has little thought to how much they hurt people and if your garden can remind you of the beauty of life and growth and how things can change.....then, what a gift it is.

Mary B
(from Iowa)
(and when you coming back this way??)

Anonymous said...

damn, you're cute...:-)

come here soon...and you know where here is.

megster said...

wow, absolutely love rocket..its so peppery and its amazing on pasta too..anyway..a great blog, the atomic 3 eyed rocket made me laugh. Sounds like you guys have done a great job with your garden...i gotta admire that since anything i try to grow ends up looking demented. I can relate to the taking people at face value.thingo..and have gotten stung many times as a result..i'm a lot older and maybe slightly wiser now but i still prefer to do that over being cynical...

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, mate!! Great reading...

Anonymous said...

big gutteral laughter..ha ha ha

Connie said...

Great post Mardi

in a way your beutiful garden is reflecting your growth. when u look at it day after day it doesnt seem like much. When you dont see it for a while you realy do notice the change.

I am noticing your change

Cheers
connie