Wednesday, July 16, 2008

who gives a.......


This is my songwriting book, with a recent song...it's all messy and I usually end up writing stuff over a few pages and then bringing it all back together on one complete page. People always ask how I write and do the words or the music come first. I keep saying, and will continue to say, that the only way to develop chops for writing is to honor the creative process. To not filter it, to be true to it when it hits you, regardless of where you are. Many of my friends will speak of the amount of times they watch me as I am busily typing something new into my phone...whether it be a song, a poem, or a blog entry. I am trying to learn how to be completely present but honor my own creative process at the same time. Because I know if I don't grab a line or a phrase or a tune as it comes out, that it will most likely be lost forever.

There are a shit load of new songs coming out and of course, new poems come out daily..whether they make it out is another question. Sometimes songs/poems may never see the light of day...and occasionally, probably some blog entries shouldn't either. But really, I am mostly in a 'who gives a fuck' kinda phase anyway. So done with being polite for now....or for good, who knows.

I was talking to two mates the other day, Alex & Dionne. Alex is in Sydney and Dionne is in LA and we were talking on email and text respectively. Neither of them know each other but we were all pretty much having the same conversation and both of them, almost at the same time said words to the effect of, 'who gives a fuck'. I took that as a sign from the universe that those are the right 4 words to be speaking right now.

So, my friends, back to writing my 'who gives a fuck' song. Actually....I must say that more of my songs have the word 'fuck' in them right now...think it's that angry phase again.

xxM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.... the photo does feel like we are peeking into the pages of the "neverending story" or a blessed scribe.

i had to laugh out loud about the whole polite thing! why is it when polite people get angry there is something wrong ...but angry people are not polite it is normal. hmmm

Anonymous said...

you go sister....shout it fucking loud and proud!!