Sunday, May 18, 2008

Frog song.....

I am at the Frog Song co-housing community in Cotati, CA. Its about 2 hours north of San Francisco and its made up of 54 adults, 26 kids and 30 homes all pooled together into one big 'let's live together' community. It took the 5 years to build and in that time, only one person has left the community. And no wonder, its a beautiful harmonious space filled with laughter and creativity.

Honestly, I feel a little jealous of them all. I know living in community isn't always easy but damn I love the idea of it. Pooling resources, having people to hang out when you want and not if you don't, creating something as amazing as this with other people.
I feel like I get to live in community all over the world....I have mates and homes and lives that I become a part of for a period of time and I always feel so happy when someone says 'it feels like you never left.'

I tell you though, if I had all the money in the world, I would build something like this and invite all my favourite people to come live together. I often find myself saying to a mate somewhere 'oh, if you met this person, you would SO love each other'.

It makes me pine for you all....and dream about the idea.

Xxm

3 comments:

Connie said...

i love this blog, i love the idea of communities, jaqui and i were talking about communities over the week end in terms of child care arrangements, "if wishes were trees hey" i also think that communities would solve some of green house problems because of the fact so many resources are shared, i love the idea of that and try and live my life in that way. i dnt believe we need 35 lawn mowers, whipper snippers, blowers pools etc in our street. I love the idea of community in terms of companionship and raising children as well. As is said, "it takes a community to raise a child".

Thanks for shring Mardi

Glad u are feeling a bit better.

Anonymous said...

What FrogSong (or at least one FrogSonger) has to say about Martine:

How lucky we were to have you come to our little part of the world! You rocked the house last night and I for one went away recharged and feeling jealous of you because you get to play music every day of your life for others and for yourself.

You had one little bit in the middle of your guitar solo (I think it was on 9 1/2 Minutes) how much you love playing guitar and that it just fills you up. You could see it was true in your smile and your body language and it made me extremely happy to know someone feels about music just the way I do. Music is so intimately connected to my spirit and spirituality that it truly is the heart of who I am and you, too! Hallelujah!

I was also very happy to listen to your new cd on the way to work this morning. I am often disappointed by the cd's I buy at our house concerts because the recorded versions almost never live up to the live performance. I was very pleased that your cd does capture the spirit of your live show and I found the arrangements of the songs to fit the framing of the melody and lyrics in a natural way - not overproduced.

Thank you so much for being here and I hope you come again next time you are in town! Much love and luck out there on the road.

Karen

megster said...

i love this concept also..years ago (once upon a time) i remember getting enthusiastic about creating one with some friends..yeah, I agree Connie..pooling resources that are wasted otherwise and such wonderful possiblities for a sense of community that can be hard to find these days..