Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I am sitting by the window in my friend Kimberley's apartment, watching the sunset and writing in my journal. Its an amazing day here and I fucking love these days in this city. I miss this city a lot and lay it down at the feet of the universe for a later date. Its amazing to sit here and look out though, I feel really fortunate to have so many folks who welcome me into their homes, to share their beauty.

I think I decided tonight that I am going to find a stretch of beach while I am here and have a ritual around burning this journal. Have you ever gotten rid of a journal before? I am a little perplexed about the idea as I have never gotten rid of any of my writing before but feel like I want to do something with it. Maybe I can find a deep part of the bay and sink it, or, ohhh, it would be poetic to throw if off the golden gate, no?

Anyway, I sit here watching the beauty while my mate Kimberley gets dinner ready and the sea lions bark their brains out down at the wharf. Its a magical moment in a magical city and I am indeed blessed in this thing called life.

Xxm

Ps - just got my time slot for the national festival next month, its 9.30pm on the main stage on Friday nite, just FYI for those folks reading who wanted to know. Totally excited to get there....3 days with great mates, plugged into a huge mother of a sound system.....and I am ready to kick some musical ass.

8 comments:

KCmustang said...

yes i have burned a journal before i haven't since.

Anonymous said...

me too...i burnt and now wish i hadn't. something about honouring all my stages of growth without shame. hope it works ok for you though!

Connie said...

confession, when i was 19 i burnt somebody elses journal because it had stuff in it about me and my sexual flirtations with her, you see we both had boy friends. They were brothers and i was ashamed of the stuff. She is married to that guy now some 21 years later, with 3 beutiful children. i wish i didnt burn her journal cos i robbed her of honouring her growth. Shit this is the first time those memories have come out of my body, been locked away in the shame basket.

KCmustang said...

connie...i can't remember if you had suggest M publish a book about this blog???...hmmm ...would it include confessions and all??
i loved your post...forgive me for lmao..it must feel good to have confessed.

Connie said...

feels fantastic, yes it was me that suggested Miss M write a book, confessions... yeh a chapter on that would be good to, have you seen that site that is about confessions, perhaps i should visit it. Where abouts are u Kc

Tink said...

eek! *shock horror!* oh no no no, don't burn your journal mardi! sure it's full of hard stuff right now but i have similar ones and am glad that i've held on to them. they remind me where i've been.

at least make copies before you burn it!

of course, it's all up to you in the end...do what feels right.

megster said...

mmm, all this journal burning...seems like a cathartic thing going on..I have done a similar thing....it was mostly poetry and only recently have i had second thoughts about some of it..

megster said...

and..that is a beautiful veiw, and the gig spot is great news!