Tuesday, May 6, 2008

monkey lessons...

My friend Lee Lee told me last night it was 'time to let go of the nut'.

I hadn't heard the phrase before and she went on to tell me this story about how hunters in South America catch spider monkeys. It seems that the hunters have worked out how to do it with little output on their part. They put a hole in a coconut and drop a nut into it and sit the coconut on a tree and wait. The monkey finds the coconut and sticks its hand in to grab the nut, clenching it's fist around it and rendering it unable to remove it's hand from the coconut. It gets so obsessed with getting the nut out and not letting go of it at all costs, that it doesn't even notice the hunters as they casually walk up behind it and end its life.

I have been sitting here at the airport this morning, waiting for my plane, whispering kind words to myself. On my way back to CA for a few weeks for shows and to get my heart patted my people who know and love me....and to actively spend some time laughing really hard....and all the while reminding myself to let go of the nut...until I don't have to remind myself anymore, and I just do.

Xxm

3 comments:

KCmustang said...

great post...i need to remember that story. I relate to feeling like a monkey!

i was driving the convertible today and thinking about how keeping the top up or down is similiar to how much I am open or closed to the elements that I encounter on a day to day basis. With the top down I let in the sun, wind and fresh air but I am also exposed to flying debris, sun burn and bird waste. Then I heard a plop sound and sure enough a nice white spot appeared on the back seat. What timing, I immediate thought that I either was not driving fast enough or was a moving target. Ha. How similiar that last thought was to my own vunerable moments. When I reasoned these life similations out. It really boiled down to the fact that I seem to handle being shit on the outside but when I am shit on the inside it is difficult to drive around without cleaning it up.

Safe travels Mate!

Anonymous said...

Letting go isn't always the easiest thing to do, especially if there is love involved. Hopefully, we all know at the end of the day that it's the best thing for us to do, in the interests of looking after and honoring ourselves.

And, it opens up the way for better things to come along.

Lydia

Anonymous said...

Oh Lydia, you are such a wise woman and I loved the story about the monkey.